Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Lessons learnt along the way


I battled an Eating Disorder for a long time. Yes, it was one of the worst days of my life. I felt like it was impossible for me to get out of that vicious cycle. But this isn't about my experience through that phase. It is about the lessons that I learnt. These are the lessons that made me a stronger and a wiser person and they are to stay with me for the rest of my journey through life.

One very important lesson that I learnt was about perception. Perception is like our glasses. We look at the world through it. It is perception that creates our reality. But the truth about perception is that perception itself is an illusive contraption. We never perceive anything as it actually is. Our perception is spiked by our psychological state and our beliefs. Therefore. perception and reality don't always match up.

"Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing. it is possible that i may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if i have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning"
--Mahatma Gandhi 

These perceptions of life, whether real or false, make us the people who we are. Our identity is based on our perception. We can bring about a huge change in us and our quality of life by bringing about a change in our perception. This is exactly what helped me. 

One of my favorite quotes is- "If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For a man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern"
--William Blake

Once we become aware of the fact that we can construct our own reality, we can take charge. Human power lies in the capacity to choose. This power lies inside of us. We can reach closer to reality by becoming more conscious, becoming more aware and becoming more sensitive to ourselves as well as the world outside. We must trust our own ability to take the helm through life based on our own inner truth. Ponder more! Don't just believe. 

You have a choice. What will you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment